|CALIM will establish a workable platform to support legacy applications integration and progressive substitution within answer strategic issues:
- progressive abandon of legacy applications based on obsolete technologies,
- use of current skills, with a limited assistance of new technology specialists.
The platform includes process, methods and tools:
- to automate the development and the deployment of a component-based IS,
- to improve the reliability to the targeted IS (performance and fault-tolerance simulation)
The platform will be tested by two partners representative of large industries. It will be based on a Corba architecture which makes possible to integrate heterogeneous technologies.
CALIM intends to provide practical answers (I.e. a process instrumented by method and tools) to the current issues that large companies have to face with their Information Systems:
- Technical migration from existing applications based on obsolete or proprietary platform (e.g. IBM CICS) to component-based architecture (COTS like PDM or ERP). This technical migration will have to be progressive to maintain both solutions operational during the time needed for complete transfer.
- Skills: the migration will have to be performed with the current available human resources assisted by a limited number of specialists in new technology. CALIM methods and tools to automate the IS migration and the exploitation will answer this. So far, Corba is the only proven solution which offers such capabilities (heterogeneous technology co-existence and industrial standard used by PDM or ERP vendors) and will be used as a means for CALIM demonstration.
Process elaboration: selection of object-oriented process. Introduction of steps respectively dedicated to:
- Simulation (Information System performance and fault-tolerance),
- Automated integration (Legacy to Corba architecture)
- Secured migration (functional consistency checks between the initial information system and the targeted component-based one).
Methods elaboration: identification of UML extensions to model the steps of the proposed process.
Tools selection and elaboration: selection or development of tools to support the proposed methods. Tools interface with a central repository ensuring project consistency.
Test cases: define and develop 3 test cases to experience the previous set (process, methods, tools).
Project management: risk-driven, pilot the different workpackages and tasks for cost/delay and contents mastering. Define and perform dissemination and communication actions.
T0+ 1: Project plan T0+ 3: Process handbook (1st version)
T0+ 6: Dissemination plan (1st version: communication aspects)
T0+11: Method handbook and guidelines (1st version)
T0+16: Tool set release T0+22: Experimentation report
T0+24: Process handbook, method handbook, platform tool set final releases Technological Implementation plan.